6/12/07

Cheeky Monkey

I work a 10 hour shift every Monday and Thursday in an oncology day unit about 45 minutes by car from home. Every work morning I get up at 5am to make the girls lunches. Now I find this one of the least enjoyable parenting tasks. It is not always easy to pack something nutritious, that suits the girls tastes on that particular point in time and that will withstand the heat.
DH has the job of getting the girls organised on a Monday as he has every Monday off and I leave at 6am. It is his day where he has the total responsibility as I often don't get home till 7.30pm from the train. Anyway at a 11am this Monday morning, the day unit was busy and I was interrupted by a phone call from the school. Now I don't get any other phone calls at work really as the nature of the job it is just too hard to get away from patient care area to answer them. The lady on the other end starts:
"Do you realise that Miss T has no lunch, her teacher has had to give her some morning tea"
Me: "I packed the girls lunches this morning before I left for work, she definitely has lunch made." Meanwhile I'm thinking cross thoughts about DH - who of course it had to be his fault for not sending them. I then told the school that I would get on to DH to find out what happened.
When I rang DH he said that he definitely packed the lunches in the bags. Mystery...... So he checks the car and there finds Miss T's lunch stuffed under the front seat. He returns her lunch to school.
When I saw Miss T's teacher the next day, I apologised for the mishap and thanked her for giving Miss T some morning tea. She found it quite funny because when she asked Miss T why she didn't have any lunch Miss T came up with "Daddy said I wasn't allowed to have any lunch because we have no food"! (I had done a $400 grocery shop the day before) Where she came up with that I don't know. I'm sure the teacher may have believed her for a second because she is so skinny. The cheeky monkey, it took some explaining to get out of that one.

No comments: