6/26/07

Haunting

My job is a bit of a mixed bag. There are parts of it that are great. The patients you get to know that go through treatment and transplant and come out the other end, go back to a life not dominated by hospital appointments. Then there are other parts of my job that wake me up at 2am to haunt me. I don't think I will ever not be haunted by the cry of a mother who is told that her daughter has relapsed again and there is very limited hope. The depth of the utter sadness that was emitted in her cries will never leave me. There is no fixing the situation. There is never the right words. Everything becomes insignificant mumbling. There are somethings I can leave at work but others are too sad and to involved and will always be there.

1 comment:

Jacqui said...

It would haunt me too.